CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 21, 2008

My House is Green - Kind of, Sort of...

I've been on a green path for 3 years now, from vegetarian to vegan and living consciously aware of my impact on the planet. I share my thoughts, ideas, dreams, etc with my husband of nearly 16 years, who I'll call EJ. He will listen, but never really engage. I often wonder how intently he is listening and how often he zones out.

In the 18 years that we have known each other he has never bought a book. He received a book as a gift one Christmas and he tried reading it, but soon lost interest. Well, EJ bought a book this week and the book was Green Collar Economy by Van Jones. When asked why that book, he said that he didn't realize how many African Americans were interested in the ecology. (Say what?) He then said that he didn't know that there are jobs available now and jobs that will be created in the near future that are dedicated to the ecology. (Say what?) EJ also said he was interested in opportunities that will help inner city residents and those in low socio-economic groups obtain access and education about "going green." (Say what?)

I said to him that we must practice what we preach. He then turned to me and said, "Teach me what you know." My house is going green!


3 comments:

Zucchini Breath said...

Congratulations. This is great news.

I will follow along and see how it goes

Cheers, ZB

Brandi said...

Ohhh, I am adding that book to my To Read list!

Anonymous said...

how to live green, practical advice and tips only..no bs